PALM OIL AND RUBBER
ECONOMIC AND INVESTMENT MISSION TO INDIA
29 JULY – 2 AUGUST 2019
YB Teresa Kok, Minister of Primary Industries will be leading a Palm Oil and Rubber Economic and Investment Mission to India from 29 July to 2 August
2019. YB Minister will be leading a delegation comprising representatives from the Ministry of Primary Industries, Malaysian Palm Oil Board (MPOB),
Malaysian Rubber Board (MRB), Malaysian Palm Oil Council (MPOC) and Malaysian Rubber Export Promotion Council (MREPC).
2. The objective of the mission is to strengthen trade and address issues related to trade as well as explore market and investment opportunities
particularly in palm oil and rubber. India and Malaysia share a long rooted historical and cultural commonality, as well as good relationship which has
over time developed and helped craft the landscape for economic and commercial relations between our countries. Malaysia has always looked upon
India as a strategic and important trade partner which trade has evolved from items such as spices, clothing, and food to current items such as commodities particularly palm oil and rubber.
3. In 2018, India was the 3rd largest importer of palm oil and palm oilbased products with the export value of RM6.84 billion, which makes 10.1% of
the total national palm oil and palm oil-based products exports. While for the rubber sector, India imported 1.5% of the the total national export of rubber
and rubber products which amounted to RM476.56 million.
4. The Minister will attend the Malaysia - India Palm Oil Trade Fair & Seminar (POTS) 2019, which will be held in Mumbai. This seminar is to provide
support to Malaysian palm oil industries in developing and enhancing trade opportunities in India as well as exploring business collaboration and to furnish
the latest development in the oils and fats industry. The Minister will also attend Educational Seminar: Managing Infection Control – Selecting The Right
Gloves, which is organised by MREPC in New Delhi. This seminar aims to educate the medical practitioners in India on the importance and properties of
medical gloves for infection control and to promote Malaysian rubber medical gloves among medical practitioners and healthcare workers in India.
5. During the Mission, YB Minister is scheduled to convene bilateral discussions with H.E Mr. Piyush Goyal, Union Minister for Commerce and
Industry, H.E Madam Harsimrat Kaur Badal, Union Minister of Food Processing Industries and H.E Harsh Vardhan, Minister of Health & Family
Welfare. YB Minister is also expected to have a networking dinner and dialogue with local business community and Malaysian diaspora. The
objective of this dialogue is to strengthen networking as well as increase promotional efforts on palm nutrition and rubber gloves.
6. The Palm Oil and Rubber Economic and Investment Mission to India is part of the Ministry's ongoing activities to promote palm oil-based products and
rubber-based products to key markets especially countries in South Asia.
Ministry of Primary Industries
29 July 2019